Pediatric Excellence for Healthy, Happy Children
Clinical excellence and compassionate care make for a winning combination when it comes to your child's health. You’ll find that at Catholic Health, home to one-of-a-kind inpatient and outpatient pediatric programs. With locations across Long Island, you can be confident your child is getting the highest level of care close to home.
Our Team & Approach
Our board-certified pediatric physicians are uniquely qualified to diagnose and treat infants, children and adolescents whose medical, physical and emotional health care needs differ from adults and require specialized care. They are experts in fields including cardiology, emergency medicine, gastroenterology, neurology, orthopedics and physical therapy and rehabilitation.
With access to specialists across the Catholic Health system, our multidisciplinary approach ensures your child receives comprehensive care to help them heal, thrive and lead healthy and full lives.
Pediatric Services at Catholic Health
- Dedicated Pediatric Emergency Department—the only one of its kind in the area
- Only verified Level II Trauma Center for children on the south shore of Long Island
- Level III NICU—the highest level NICU on the south shore of Suffolk County
- Only Pediatric Intensive Care Unit (PICU) on the south shore of Long Island
- Child Life Program—helps children cope with the stress of an accident, illness or hospitalization
- BREATHE Program—education and follow-up care for children with asthma to reduce the number of re-admissions to the hospital
- Level III NICU
- Family Care Center
- General Pediatrics
- Pediatric Cardiology
- Pediatric Gastroenterology
- Pediatric Hematology
- Level II NICU
- Only hospital on Long Island accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Rehabilitation Facilities (CARF) for comprehensive inpatient rehabilitation and outpatient medical rehabilitation for adults and children.
- Only Pediatric Brain Injury Unit on Long Island and the only Pediatric Brain Injury Specialty Program in New York State accredited by CARF.
- Muscular Dystrophy Care Center—only center on Long Island for both adults and children.
- The Comprehensive Epilepsy Center of Long Island—an inpatient epilepsy unit dedicated entirely to diagnosis and treatment of seizures.
- Comprehensive sports medicine program—includes Concussion Management Program for student athletes.
- Long Island's most awarded heart program. Experts in minimally invasive cardiac procedures for children.
- Robust orthopedics program offers the latest advances in surgical options for student athletes.
- Free cardiac screenings for student athletes, grades 9-12.
Intensive Care Services
Catholic Health's neonatal intensive care units (NICU), in Nassau and Suffolk counties, are staffed by neonatologists, neonatal nurses and pediatric specialists who provide around-the-clock care for premature or critically ill newborns.
Level III NICUs offer 24/7 coverage by neonatologists and are supported by pediatric specialists.
- Good Samaritan Hospital (West Islip, NY) and Mercy Hospital (Rockville Centre, NY): Level III NICUs
- St. Charles Hospital (Port Jefferson, NY): Level II NICU
The neonatal follow-up program at Good Samaritan Hospital gives expert care to help infants and their families after discharge from the NICU. Neonatologists, in collaboration with pediatric sub-specialists, assess medical, developmental and nutritional needs of preterm and high-risk infants.
Infants with complex conditions are followed in the program. Referrals are given for special services, such as home-care nursing, early intervention program and subspecialty consultation.
- Bronchopulmonary dysplasia requiring supplemental oxygen
- Bronchodilator/diuretic therapy
- Respiratory syncytial virus (RSV) prevention
The Pediatric Inpatient Unit (PICU) at Good Samaritan Hospital is designed to meet the specific needs of children and their families. The nursing staff is consistently recognized for their pursuit of excellence by the Pediatric Certification Board. From nursing to pediatric hospitalists, the unit is staffed around-the-clock by experts in pediatric medicine.
Our pediatric hospitals work closely with your child’s physician for admission to the hospital and follow-up care. Our pediatricians visit the hospital at any time. A pediatric hospitalist is always available to meet the immediate health care needs of all patients on the unit, which offers access to child life specialists, a fully staffed and equipped interactive children’s playroom, and an outdoor therapeutic garden.