Experts in Joint Replacement Surgery
At Catholic Health, our compassionate orthopedic experts know that joint pain limits your movement and keeps you from participating fully in your daily activities. Our board-certified orthopedic surgeons use the latest and most advanced surgical procedures for joint replacement to reduce pain, shorten hospital stays and improve recovery times.
Catholic Health hospitals in Nassau and Suffolk counties offer comprehensive care for joint replacement surgery. Our goal is to help you heal faster, feel better and stronger, and move freely again.
Advanced Procedures for Faster Recovery
Catholic Health orthopedic surgeons are experts in commonly performed knee replacement and hip replacement as well as joint replacement of the ankle, elbow and shoulder. Minimally invasive procedures are used whenever possible.
We also offer a robust orthopedic rehabilitation program for post-surgical care. St. Charles Hospital is Long Islander's leader in physical therapy and rehabilitation.
This level of expertise sets Catholic Health apart. You can be confident that our services for joint replacement surgery deliver the highest level of care.View orthopedic rehabilitation services
St. Francis Hospital & Heart Center®
St. Charles Hospital
St. Francis Hospital & Heart Center®
Our Joint Replacement Program
- Partial joint replacement (or partial joint resurfacing)—removing and replacing part of the joint.
- Total joint replacement—removing and replacing all of the joint with an artificial device.
- Revision joint replacement—removing and replacing some or all of the original artificial device.
Catholic Health’s orthopedic surgeons are experts in performing:
- MAKOplasty® partial knee resurfacing. Minimally invasive technology uses a surgeon-controlled robotic arm to ensure optimal positioning and placement.
- Mako total hip replacement. Minimally invasive technology uses a surgeon-controlled robotic arm, which allows the surgeon to perform total hip replacements with pinpoint accuracy.
- Cementless knee surgery (offered at St. Francis Hospital & Heart Center®)
St. Charles Hospital (Port Jefferson, NY), has been the first hospital on Long Island to use some of the most advanced procedures for joint replacement surgery, including MAKOplasty®.
MAKOplasty® is a minimally invasive treatment for adults living with early to mid-stage osteoarthritis (OA) that has not progressed to all three compartments of the knee. It uses a highly advanced robotic-arm system that the surgeon controls. The surgeon tailors a pre-surgical plan that details the technique for bone preparation and customized implant positioning using a knee CT scan.
During the procedure, the system creates a 3D view of the bone surface and correlates the image to the pre-programmed surgical plan. As the surgeon uses the robotic arm, the system gives feedback that limits the bone preparation to the diseased areas, allows for real-time adjustments, and ensures optimal implant positioning and placement.
Compared to total knee replacement, this procedure offers:
- Better motion and a more natural feeling knee
- Faster recovery
- Less implant wear and loosening
- Less pain
- Shorter hospital stay
- Smaller scar
Our programs provide helpful information to patients preparing for, and recovering from, joint replacement surgery both in the hospital and at home.
The prehab program at St. Charles Hospital (Port Jefferson, NY) helps you understand what to expect after joint replacement surgery and what you should know before your outpatient rehabilitation begins. The prehab program is available to any patient registered for joint replacement surgery at a Catholic Health hospital.
Before your procedure, you will have a one-on-one visit with a licensed physical therapist who will provide the following services:
- Assess your home environment to promote safety.
- Evaluate your baseline range of motion and strength before surgery.
- Help you understand your weight-bearing options and precautions after surgery.
- Provide a comprehensive home exercise program to help you become familiar with typical post-surgical exercises.
- Show you gait training exercises using assistive devices that are appropriate for level surfaces and stairs.
- Tailor training and education to best suit your needs.
The Joint Endeavor Program at Mercy Hospital (Rockville Centre, NY) offers education, exercise, lifestyle evaluation and rehabilitation for patients preparing for, and recovering from, joint replacement surgery.
Our orthopedic team assists you by:
- Tailoring an appropriate plan of care, including an education class and home evaluation before surgery.
- Ensuring effective communication with you and your family/caretakers during pre- and post-surgery.
- Minimizing complications.
- Ensuring you return to normal function as quickly as possible.
Clinical Excellence at Catholic Health
Explore Our Orthopedics Program
Joint Replacement Surgery Locations
Catholic Health hospitals participate in Medicare’s Comprehensive Care for Joint Replacement (CJR) Program.